If you appreciate the work done on this blog, please consider making a small donation. Thank you!

If you appreciate the work done on this blog, please consider making a small donation. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Myrtle Emma -- The Neighborhood

Myrtle's Neighborhood
In the latest installment in our look at the memoirs of Myrtle Emma White, we get her recollections of several of the families who lived near the Morris family and their home on Pigeon Hollow Road. The map to the right shows where each of the families lived. At the end, I'll have a few notes and some quick background on a few of the people Myrtle mentions. Enjoy!


The Neighborhood

As a child and eight years old, I lived with my family in a small house on a dirt road. We did not own the house, but rented from our neighbor Willard Buckingham. He was a small man, always dressed in a suit and tie. He would walk to our house on a Friday afternoon, when my father got his pay at the clay yard where he worked. Mr. Buckingham was there to collect the rent. He liked to sit and talk about family. He was quite nervous and talked with a stutter. All the while, we think he was observing how we kept the house clean and taken care of.
He lived with his sister Lizzie and brother John. We could see their house from our back porch. John was in a wheelchair. He had been shot and was paralyzed. We would see him on the porch when we walked by, and we dared each other to go up and speak to him, for he always threw his hand up in seeing us walk by. He talked in gasps but very plainly. He wanted to know what kind of dog we had—he had heard it barking. We told him it was a beagle named Spot. He was a good hunting dog and loved to chase rabbits. John’s sister Lizzie, who took care of him, would come to the door and say hello.
Their brother Al and his wife Emma lived in the next house on the paved road. There were steep cement steps leading up to the front porch. Our mail boxes stood by each other across from the steps. Many times when we got our mail, we would take their mail up the steep steps and give it to them at their back door. Emma would always greet us and was thankful to get the mail. Most of the time she would give us a cookie or something sweet. It was a nice treat.
The next house up the paved road belonged to the Piersons. His name was Sam, but we never heard his wife’s first name. They were farmers and grew potatoes. At harvest time, we would pick and, in exchange, he would give us a winter’s supply. He brought them to our house in a wooden wagon pulled by a dark brown horse. If his wife saw us playing near their house, she would give us old Farm Journal magazines. We liked to look at the pictures of farm animals and the bright pictures of fruits and vegetables. Mother liked to read the recipes, and I’m sure she tried a few.
On the other side of our house, down the dirt road beyond the hedgerow, lived a family of colored people—Prince and Rachel Williams and their son Clarence. They were good neighbors, but we didn’t see too much of them. Clarence went to a different school than we did. Rachel came to our house when our little sister was born. She took my brother Will and me upstairs to see her.
Across the field was the Patterson farm. Edith and Jesse had two boys, Walter and Marvin. Walter was my brother Will’s age, and Marvin was younger. We saw a lot of the Patterson family. My oldest sister Mary was a big help to Mrs. Patterson. We helped on the farm too. We thinned corn and picked strawberries, being sure to leave a little stem on them so they would look nice at market. We helped at the road stand and graded apples. We played ball in the meadow and waded in the creek. The Pattersons were known to grow the best sweet corn. It was called silver queen. In September, they had a corn roast on a moonlit night, with hay rides, Western music, dancing, and plenty of roasted corn. All the neighbors were invited.
I don’t remember neighbors getting together except at the corn roast. Neighbors never visited neighbors, but there was always a hardy greeting when meeting, and I’m sure if anything was needed, it was given. No one had a phone or electricity. At night, you could look around and see the faint glow of a lamp burning by a window.
Below our house on the main road was Whiteman’s Garage. Abe, the owner, was a friend of our father. The building had electricity, and the big garage sign was lit up on both sides. When we saw the garage lights on at night, Father would say, “Abe has some work to get out.” We waited there for the school bus. In bad weather, he would let us come into the office to wait. We were careful not to touch anything, enjoyed the warmth, and saw the light bulbs and telephone.
We had sturdy legs and liked to be outside. We walked and played all over the neighborhood. No one ever said, “Don’t come in my yard,” or closed a gate on us. We felt safe and cared for and knew it was a nice place to grow up.


Does sound like a fun place to grow up, doesn't it? The Buckinghams have been one of the preeminent families in the Corner Ketch area for well over 200 years. The four siblings mentioned by Myrtle (Willard, John, Lizzie, and Al) were all children of Alban Buckingham, who died in 1926 when Myrtle was 3. I believe Willard, John (more on him shortly), and Lizzie lived in the house seen below, which stood on the north side of Pleasant Hill Road just off of Corner Ketch Road. I think the house seen in the background on the right is actually the old Eastburn Store, which at that time was home to the Williams family. The Morris' house would have been just to the left of it.

Buckingham House on Pleasant Hill Road

Next up, on the west side of Corner Ketch Road just before Pigeon Hollow, was the home of Alban T. and Margaret Emma Vansant Buckingham. Their house can be seen below. That is presumably Emma standing on the steps, partially obscured. They're still there, although often overground in the roadside. To her right would be Al and their son, Ralph. The steps going up to the home of Samuel and Jessie Pierson next door are also still there, hiding in the weeds. Unfortunately, all three of these houses are now gone.

Al, Emma, and Ralph Buckingham in front of their home
The final family was the Pattersons, who lived in the farm "across the field". That field is now filled with houses, but the Patterson's home is still standing, nestled in amongst the development of Patterson Farm.

But back a moment to John Buckingham, who Myrtle said was in a wheelchair, having "been shot and paralyzed." It turns out she was absolutely correct, even though the event happen long before she was born. On November 23, 1908, then 19 year old John Buckingham was teaching his nephew (possibly Richard L. Buckingham, son of John's brother Harry) how to shoot. There was an accident, and apparently the younger boy inadvertently shot John in the back of the neck. He spent about 2-1/2 weeks in the hospital. Two years later he was taken to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia to have the bullet removed. It was hoped that it would cure his paralysis, but it evidently did not. John would survive the incident, of course, not passing away until 1956.


14 comments:

  1. Another good part of the story! Hope to hear some more about the Pierson family. They must be related to the Pierson's around Hockessin, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were! Samuel W Pierson (1879-1958) was the son of Ross D Pierson (1835-1912) and Sarah Brackin (1848-1929). Ross was the son of Thomas Pierson Jr (1799-1879), who lived on Southwood Road in Hockessin. Thomas' brother William C was the tax collector, whose son George bought the farm on Graves Road. Clear as mud?

      Delete
    2. I call that part of my family tree the labyrinth. All the MCH families intermarried a lot.

      Delete
    3. I used to live in Pierson's Ridge, off Southwood Rd. The streets in the community are named after some of the Pierson women....Rebecca, Isabella, Salina, Phebe, Ruthana and Meredith.

      Delete
    4. That's exactly where they were. The Thomas Pierson House is right in the middle of it on Southwood Road. And Rich, I usually try to look for your tree when I'm researching. I know I can trust it. Thanks for all the work you've put in over the years!

      Delete
  2. I love reading these stories about Corner Ketch. My dad, William Stinson Eastburn (1914-1975), grew up on the Stinson farm on Pleasant Hill Road -- I believe it was called Pleasant Hill Farm. I visited there often as a child (b.1948). I believe the "tenant house" was occupied by the Peoples family back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation! I saw them in the census and figured that's where they were (I assume you meant Corner Ketch Road?). Now I see that his mother was a Stinson who married an Eastburn. And coming full circle, the house is now owned by a Buckingham

      Delete
    2. Richard Gilpin Buckingham IVOctober 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM

      Unknown who mentions William Stinson Eastburn. I now live in Stinson Farm. My Dad, who died in 2003, lived in Corner Ketch and he remembered the man you mention and said that his peers all called him "Stins" as a nickname. Would love to talk to you about this or any other remembrances you may have of the house / farm. I have communicated with Paul Dennison who has a photo I am seeking to copy that shows / explains (handwritten on the rear of the photo) how the original house was moved in 1900 with the front portion of the house (nearest Corner Ketch Road) added after the move. My e-mail is rbuck4593@yahoo.com. Hope you hear from you. Rich Buckingham IV.

      Delete
    3. Hi Rich, You are my Eastburn 3rd cousin 1 time removed. Paul Dennison is our Eastburn cousin. He's deep in my family tree labyrinth because he's my Morrison and Springer cousin too. Paul is also a Harlan, Peoples, Pierson, Armstrong, Cloud, Delaplaine, Moore and Boulden. I have an Eastburn Genealogy Facebook group with 86 members. Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/EastburnGenealogy Rich Morrison mercur81@bellsouth.net

      Delete
  3. I have an unrelated question for you, more so probably a follow up because I believe I asked you this about 10 years ago! Have you yet to come across anything about 2 separate old farm houses that would have been located in the present day Meeting House Hill neighborhood?
    One would have been located on what is now Rankin Road close to where it meets New Side Court. The old Linden Hill Rd would have passed through close by to it before they rerouted a few yards away. I haven't been able to get the historical aerial maps to work on my computer in years, but years ago I was looking at the earliest year and I believe I saw a big farm house in this location.
    The other, would have been located where Meeting House Hill and Deacons Walk neighborhood meet at the park on Ware Road. I've heard that in the 60s when the neighborhood was being built, a large barn still stood until it burned down one night. I have always wanted to learn more about these.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In relation to my question above^ While looking around on the blog, I noticed someone on the nostalgia forum mentioned they seem to think the land I'm referring to was own by a "Sheldon", incase that helps any.

      Delete
  4. I remember Mr. Sheldon coming into Little's Garage. The garage had a candy counter when I was a little boy - maybe around 1960 would be my first recollection. Standing at the door of the office of the garage (same as today), just to the right on the other side of the road was a small house that I remember my Dad referring to as a "tenant house". To the left, still looking out from the garage office door, Mr. Sheldon's dirt driveway was maybe 50 yards to the left of the garage. I don't remember the house itself well as it seemed quite a distance from Polly Drummond Hill Road, at least to a little kid. Going from Little's Garage toward Ebenezer Church, there is a curve just at the foot of the hill where Ebenezer stands at the top. In the middle of that curve was a driveway that led to Vansant's farm. As a boy I had been to that farmhouse with my Dad. The barn was still standing in those days as well. He referred to Mr. Vansant as "Tommy." Mr. Vansant had had some sort of surgery that removed his lower lip or maybe part of his lower jaw. Every time I saw the man he seemed to have a cigar he was chewing. As I recall I was told that the Vansant farmhouse burned, I would guess sometime in the 70's but that could be incorrect. The last I knew of the barn was one day in the late 1990's the silo was still standing. I drove back into the neighborhood and a man was there with a bulldozer preparing the site for development. Houses had already been constructed all around an area about large enough for maybe 3 more and he was in the process of pushing in the stone walls from the barn. The rest of the structure was gone. I don't recall her first name, but Tommy Vansant's daughter married Paul Schlosser Sr. - founder of Schlosser Mechanical. The built the brick rancher on the other side of the hill from Ebenezer Church doing toward Paper Mill Road. That house still stands today and I believe Mrs. Vansant Schlosser is still living there. Paul Sr. passed quite a few years ago. Hope that is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Richard, my name is Roger Jeandell and I went to school with you from 6th thru 12th grade, first at Shue Middle School [1967-1970] then Newark High [1970-1974] I lived in Meeting House Hill from '67-70 then Henderson Heights, '70-74. Some recollections if my memory serves me well. I seem to remember Little's Garage being "Greenplates" then. Used to visit the candy-counter also. He had a German Shepard named "Heidi" who lived there. Friendly as could be during business hours, but if you came around when he was closed she was vicious! Then Shay and Jim Knies [from Roseville Park] bought it. Shay was an accomplished drag racer who raced at Cecil County. He had a bunch of trophies on a shelf in the office. Last I heard, Jim Knies still owned it.
      Regarding the Sheldon farm, in 1969 whoever last lived there [Sheldon?] moved out when the property was sold to developer Frank Robino. Some of us neighborhood kids discovered it was vacant and used to explore and play "Hide and Seek" in the farmhouse, barn, and outbuildings after school. The house was huge and beautiful. I still remember looking up at the huge timbers of the framework of the barn and noticing they were "pinned" together at the "mortice and tenon" joints with wooden dowels! Then some of the older kids started vandalizing the place. This only lasted a few weeks then someone hired 2 guys as security guards, they chased everyone off and and we never went back. Shortly after that the whole farm was demolished to make way for the development of Deacon's Walk.
      Regarding Vansant's Farm, I never knew it was even there. From what I know now, it must of sat back from the road quite a bit and was surrounded by large, mature trees. I remember Schlosser's house though, knew his son Paul Jr. and daughter Cathy. I do however remember when the house and/or barn burned down. It was April/May 1975. In those days, we still lived at home and used to cruise the backroads north of Newark, Corner Ketch and Pa. We were coming home one nite around 11: p.m. and came out to the intersection of Corner Ketch Rd. and Paper Mill Rd. to head south on Polly Drummond Hill Rd. and came upon the fire. It was a huge conflagration, fully engulfed as the fire dept was just arriving. My recollection is that it was a barn but it could have been the house. I tried looking it up in the News Journal and Newark Weekly archives recently but could'nt find anything. Rich, I shuffled around Newark 'til 1985 then got married and moved to Middletown and have lived down here ever since. Good to hear from someone who still remembers the "old neighborhood", where did the last 45 yrs. go? Regards, Roger

      Delete
    2. "Tommy" Vansant, as you refer to him, was my grandfather. My father, Stephen, was his only son. I was 7 years old in 1975, the reference date to the "fire." Since I was young, I don't remember the incident, but I can 100% state that it was NOT the house, large barn, small tractor barn or shed near the house. BTW, the house was quite a bit off the main road and definitely hidden by trees lining both Polly Drummond and the lane to the house. I don't remember my father ever mentioning a fire, I'll have to ask him and follow back up on this post. The house and barn were standing into the early 1990s, but has now been demolished and the previously stated new housing community in it's place. The old lane is now a grass pathway, when I was there in 2008, it was neatly kept, but staring to overgrow. At one time you could still find a part of the foundation to the large barn, if you asked a current homeowner to access their back yard.

      Delete