As Scharf notes, the mill was powered by the water of Mill Creek (or more precisely, a small millrace diverted from Mill Creek), and did mostly custom work, which means it produced flour in smaller quantities for local farmers, rather than bulk amounts for export. The water wheel itself, instead of being located outside the structure, actually sat inside the mill. The millrace entered and exited the mill through long-ago closed-off sections in the walls.
The mill continued to operate until sometime in the late 19th or early 20th Century (for comparison, the Greenbank Mill did custom work well into the early 1900's), after which time it was used as a storage barn. The biggest change to the integrity of the structure came in the form of a devastating fire in the 1940's, which gutted the interior of the building, leaving only the outside walls intact. It was at this time that the mill was repurposed as a dwelling. Windows, a porch, and an addition in the rear were added, and the old mill became a house. Just about the only other remaining piece of the original structure is the chimney on the right-rear, which likely marked the position of an interior office inside the mill. In the pictures below, you can see the changes made to the mill. The picture on the left was taken in 1936, before the fire, and the picture on the right shows how the current house looks today.