|The Old Stone Hotel, then the residence and office|
of Dr. Irvin and Ruth Carroll
Stanton, originally known by the indelicate name of Cuckoldstown (the speculation as to why will have to wait for another day), sits right near the confluence of the Red Clay and White Clay Creeks, and was the site of one of the earliest mills in the area. More mills soon followed, with commerce spurred on by the fact that in Colonial and early Federal times, White Clay Creek was navigable all the way to Stanton, allowing ships to be loaded and sail straight out to Wilmington and Philadelphia. Because of this, Limestone Road soon became busy, as this route was easier for Lancaster County farmers to get their grain to market than going overland to Philadelphia. When farmers came to ship and/or have their grain ground, they needed a place to sleep before heading back home. In addition to this, Stanton also lay on the main route from Newport (and Wilmington and New Castle) to Christiana (and Newark and beyond). Therefore the hotel in Stanton also catered to weary long-distance travellers as well.
For all of these reasons, it's not surprising that there was a hotel in Stanton pretty early in its history, by at least the mid-1700's. There is a Riseing Son Tavern mentioned in Revolutionary War era documents, and an advertisement for a property sale in 1752 clearly states that the lot contains "a very noted tavern with good buildings, stables, etc.". There were at least two different hotels that operated in Stanton over the years, but the one we'll focus on now is the older one that began as the Riseing Son (or Rising Son, or Rising Sun -- spelling at the time was more art than science), and sat on the southeast corner of Main Street (or the Newport-Christiana Turnpike, or Rt. 4) and Limestone Road, where the gas station is now. The property passed through close to a dozen hands from 1722 to 1793, and it's not clear exactly when the tavern first opened, or who operated it. The trail gets a bit clearer when, in 1793, the lot is purchased by Peter Springer, who then submits a petition in 1794 to operate a tavern.
|Stanton in 1868, hotel operated then by William Anthony|
|Demolition of the Old Stone Hotel, c.1972|