If you appreciate the work done on this blog, please consider making a small donation. Thank you!

If you appreciate the work done on this blog, please consider making a small donation. Thank you!

Friday, March 15, 2019

Fire at the Mill Creek Road Gregg House

The Gregg House on Mill Creek Road
As you may or may not have seen, there was a fire yesterday (March 14, 2019) at the old house on the Delcastle Golf Course property, on Mill Creek Road at the bend. The house is owned by New Castle County and is part of its curatorship program, which allows tenants to rent the property for free, as long as they make substantial improvements to it. The current occupants have been there for about five years. The blaze, which preliminary reports state was an accident started in a laundry room, has seemingly done major damage to the structure. The residents were able to get out safely, but a Minquas Fire Company firefighter was injured in battling the blaze. Please send your thoughts and prayers or whatever it is that you send out to wish him a speedy recovery. I still don't understand the heroic mindset that allows people to run towards a burning building, but I'm thankful for all those who do.

When I saw this story, my first reaction was the same as that of Ann DePace Keen who contacted me -- What is the history of this house? My quick answer to both of us was a resounding, "I'm not quite sure." When I wrote about the earlier history of the Delcastle property almost five years ago, I deftly avoided mentioning this particular house. The reason I danced around it is that the history of the house is not quite clear. As you can see by the pre-fire picture below, the house is clearly old. The question is, how old?

The Gregg House in better times

The problem, and, I think, the solution, is that it's part of the larger Delcastle property. Going to the old maps, it doesn't appear until the 1893 map, which, looking at the construction, seems like it could be right. Unfortunately, the 1893 map doesn't show the owner's name. However, I have every reason to believe that it was then, as it is now, part of the larger tract. As recounted in the previous post, the farm came into the Gregg family early in the 19th Century. I can now expand on that by saying that Benjamin Gregg (and Enoch, presumably his brother) bought out the shares of the heirs of Harrison Wells in 1804 through several transactions late that year. It was essentially the same 182 acres that his great-grandson Irvin Gregg would sell to the Board of Trustees of the New Castle County Workhouse in 1916. In between, four generations of Greggs would work the land and, I believe, build this house. The question is, who and when.

At this point I'm going to bow to the obvious and say that from the looks of the house and the map evidence, it probably was built in the 1880's or early 1890's. So, who was living on the farm then? The owner was Benjamin Gregg (1835-1910), along with wife Elizabeth (1831-1899) and sons Irvin (1861-1918), John (1864-1933) and Joseph Morton (1868-1933). Since the house is located on the larger tract, my hunch is that is was built for one of the sons, probably when he married and was looking to move his new family out. So, which son?

Eldest son Irvin married Rebecca Brackin (daughter of William Brackin of Stoney Batter Road) in 1889. They would raise three children together, but from what I can tell Irvin didn't buy his own farm until 1900, when he purchased 103 acres not far away up Mill Creek Road. John Wilmer Gregg was the next to wed, to Sally Garrett in 1891. He also bought his own farm, along Old Wilmington Road, in 1900.

The youngest son, Joseph Morton Gregg, married Ella May Shakespear in 1893. In 1900, Morton and Ella, along with children Elva, Ralph, and Mildred, are listed directly after his father Benjamin Gregg. This lines up with a family history that states Morton was farming the property in 1898. By 1910, Morton was listed as a miller in Faulkland. This leads me to think that perhaps the house was built for Morton, either as he came of age in the late '80s or around his marriage in '93. After he moved away (whenever that was between 1900 and 1910), the house could have been used by a tenant farmer.

As you can see, my facts here are true, but there's a healthy bit of speculation to go along with them. If anyone has any additional information about the family or the house, I'd love to hear it (even if you prove me wrong).

11 comments:

  1. Hi Scott, thank you for posting this article of your very impressive research. My name is Matthew Gregg I am the third great grandson of John Wilmer Gregg. My family and I still reside on Old Wilmington Road, just next door to where John built his own home closer to Old Wilmington in 1908 just nine years after purchasing the 122 acres and already built homestead from the Giffen family. Now I've come across your other articles about my family, and I was skeptical as to if I am a descendent of all of the Greggs you've previously brought about. Then when I had looked into my family tree and everything fit like this massive puzzle. I compared notes to your articles.
    Seeing everything match. Not to mention discovering a writing slope in my attic with a note penciled in (of what I can make out) "___ B Woodward a present from her father." Assumed given to Elizabeth dated Feb. 14th 1872. Which has seen better days, the inside is gutted, But a great piece to add to the puzzle since she was the only woodward in the line. I still use the slope for family documents that'll fit into the shell. But the only thing that makes me question this research, is if my 7th great grandfather Enoch and his brother Benjamin bought the shares of Harrison Wells in 1804.. Brother Benjamin lived 1736-1774 while Enoch lived 1744-1790 so how could that be the case? If they had already deceased before that year.. Unless son of Enoch, Benjamin Gregg husband of Mary wells with their 8 or 9 kids years apart from each other, maybe one of their first borns could've moved into the house when of age? And births of the children ranging from 1805-1817 if that's the case and if my family tree is correct that would make Irvin gregg, Benjamin's great grandson. From my tree it says that amungst the 8 or 9 children John Gregg (1809-1877) married to Sarah Ann Walker (1812-1884). They had two children to my knowledge, one would be another Benjamin Gregg (1835-1910) husband of Elizabeth Woodward (1831-1899). Parents of Irvin, John Wilmer, and Joseph Morton Gregg. Everything else you have on file is pretty accurate regarding my family. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matthew! I love hearing from actual descendants of the people I write about. Helps me keep in mind that they were all real people, if that makes sense. As far as the 1804 sales from the Wells family, it was definitely Benjamin and Enoch Gregg. I've seen copies of the indentures. The tricky part with these large families that like reusing names is, which Benjamin and Enoch? The Benjamin who bought was the son of Enoch Gregg Sr, and lived 1774-1835 (or 1834). The Enoch would have been his brother Enoch Gregg Jr (1776-1832). And yes, the line was Benjamin -> John -> Benjamin -> Irvin

      Delete
    2. Another thing I just noticed is that right around the same time, an Enoch Gregg got married. In fact, it lists Nov 22, 1804 as the date of his wedding, and one of the Wells to Greggs sales is dated Nov 23. Coincidence, or did Enoch maybe have some money coming his way from the marriage? In keeping with the idea of "they were real people", I always like to try to think of why they did what they did when they did it. Maybe this was why

      Delete
    3. You're very welcome Scott. And it definitely makes sense to me. My search for where my family comes from is all thanks to you and your research. With that being said, I did not know that there were two Enochs'. Makes sense now with who purchased the land, I really wonder who was the one who lived in there now. And I also stand corrected from my comment earlier, John Wilmer Gregg is my second great grandfather. I have a very old framed photo of him and Sarah standing in front of the house off old Wilmington, and it appears that there was a dirt road behind the 3 story house which is headed toward the old mount pleasant inn, in the middle of the valley. Also wasn't sure if you could settle an argument from the past few decades.. The disagreement comes about the Gregg bus company and if they were ever related to us. Would you know any details about that? I knew they had a bus depot stationed in yorklyn but torn down past few years ago... But I thank you endlessly for teaching me about my family on your blogs.

      Delete
    4. Ok, now I know exactly where we're talking about. My guess for the dirt road is that is was the lane going back to the Fisher farm, which was back behind the Mt. Pleasant Inn. There's an access road going back there now, but the old maps show Fisher's lane coming out closer to where your house is now.

      As for the bus company Greggs, as far as I can see, if you're related, it's not very close. The farthest back I can trace that line (in my quick look today) is to a Robert Gregg born about 1821 in Maryland. He was in MCH by 1870, it looks like he worked at the Curtis Paper Mill in Newark. His son William Henry also worked there. W H'S son Grover Cleveland Gregg moved out of state, then back to Yorklyn around 1913. Looks like Grover's son Samuel Cooper started the bus company. So, Robert might somehow be related to your Gregg's, but I can't prove it one way or another yet.

      Delete
  2. Hey Scott, that makes sense! I was just looking at the 1881 map of where Richard G Fishers house was and looking at google maps in comparison. I brought it up to my mother, who remembers a lane where the hedgerow is now with a gate at the end by old Wilmington, and an abandoned 2 story farmhouse near a well that is still standing. The house is long gone by now, but still remanace of foundation surfacing in a rectangular form, with a few telephone poles leading in that direction but only one remains to this day we can see from the kitchen window.. But makes sense to me with the lane from behind the ruins of my great grandfathers homestead, probably one entrance at Ramsey leading straight to the house and another at old Wilmington. Also in that same map, I was looking around for other Greggs and I see B. Gregg at what is now Delcastle golf and not too far from that, E. Gregg on what looks like mill creek road. So I'm still not quite sure who wouldve been living there under that name by 1881 if Enoch died in 1832?

    Yeah there has been speculation and disagreement of the relation but I think we are but every now and then I even question it, just maybe very very distant. Originally that's what made me start looking into my heritage, looking to see if I am related. Then surprisingly I got more than I bargained for. I mean after all, family dates back to William Gregg coming to the area with his family in 1682. And a very large family at that as time progressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The E. Gregg on the 1881 and 1893 maps is James Edmund Gregg (1837-1901). He was a son of John and Sarah (Walker) Gregg and the brother of Benjamin. John bought the property in 1852 from the Walkers, then sold it in 1870 to James Edmund (who went by James E or Edmund). I would guess he was probably on the land before 1870, though. I also have a hunch that he could play into what I'm researching now, which is the woolen mill across Stoney batter from his house (Edmund's was the one that sat in front of where the condos are now). Scharf mentions that a Gregg was a partner in the mill from 1882-1884., but doesn't give a first name. Edmund is my guess right now.

      Delete
    2. Ohhh! Now I see both where the remains of his house once stood along with spring house, and where he's located in the line. What's funny is that when I was a kid my eyes have always wondered to that driveway and wanting to go up there when we would drive past. Even to this day I'll still look. Definitely want to check that out one of these days. I think it's so funny that majority of sights I've seen from childhood happen to be previous family homes, property, and historical hot spots. Very interesting, they really were spralled out all over the place but not far from each other. Can't wait to see what you've researched for your next post.

      Delete
  3. This house is made of Cinder Block and I don't think they made houses in 1800 of that material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now it is going into the trash cans

    ReplyDelete
  5. house gone old wheat field next to property sold to red clay new school coming and a lot old house footing in woods along with still farming equipment know the spots all the way to old rock quarry 1 and 2 info hit me up

    ReplyDelete